1. To become more familiar with the physiology studies (including genetics, biochemistry, medicine, etc.) currently reported daily in popular newspapers.
2. To practice analyzing science as it is presented in newspapers and presenting this information to peers.
Sources: Newspapers (for example: USA Today, San Diego Union-Tribune, New York Times) that are dated within one year of the first day of this term. On-line versions of newspapers are also acceptable. Assignments using sources other than newspapers will not be accepted. You are looking for an article addressing a scientific experiment.
The following sources are NOT acceptable: Scientific American, Nature, National Geographic, on-line scientific journals, etc. These are excellent publications, but they do not cover current events for the general public or the information they do present is usually much more detailed than desired for this assignments.
You are looking for a newspaper article addressing a scientific experiment. Remember this is a physiology course (please do not use articles on volcanoes, astronomy, etc. unless they relate to biology). If you have questions, please discuss it with your instructor.
Method: Summarize, and respond to, a newspaper article on a scientific experiment focused on some aspect of physiology. The article should report on a new scientific report or summary. The article should be less than one year old and provided to instructor when the report is submitted. A URL may be substituted for the newspaper clipping. You may earn a maximum of 25 points for this writing assignment. The points are assigned as follows:
Grammar and Style: (5 points)
You should demonstrate effective and appropriate writing. Does each paragraph have a topic sentence? Is the style flowing and easily read? Is it obvious you did not review your writing before submitting it? Do nouns and verbs agree? Are spelling error kept a minimum?
Format: Your report should be 1-3 single spaced typed pages. All writing assignments will be in the following format: Heading (see below), summary, background, and evaluation.
1. Heading: Use the following format (2 points):
Line 1: Title of article
Line 2: Author(s)
Line 3: Source (name of newspaper or URL)
Line 4: Date of publication, section, page number, or date you visited the web site.
Line 5: Your name.
2. Summarize the article (5 points): Summarize the content of the article in the first few paragraphs. Summarize refers not to copying quotes from the article, but rather highlighting the main points in your own words. You should find and concentrate on the major concepts or topics in the article.
3. Provide background and expand on the information in your article (5 points). Using your text and lab manual, elaborate on the biology topics you addressed in the summary. In addition to any information you find about the articles major topics. The scientific method must be included in your elaborations. For this assignment, reference your text or manual by indicating the authors and page where you found the information eg: If you found information in the text on page 25, you would indicate that by (Silverthorn,, 25).
4. Evaluate the science of the article. (10 points) Evaluation does not mean expressing your personal feelings about the article. It does mean judging the how the science is reported. Some of the questions you may ask yourself as you write this section include: Is the hypothesis easily determined from the article? Is it clear how the new scientific information was collected and analyzed? Are possible confounding factors identified? The reporter may not use the term hypothesis dependent or independent variable, but can you identify them from the article? Did the article indicate alternative views or identify where you could find the original source?
Please note: All writing assignments are valued at a maximum of 25 points if received at the beginning of class on the due date as listed on Canvas. Late assignments are not accepted regardless of the excuse.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.